Re: Compiling a kernel module. gcc-3.3 vs. gcc-3.4

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 06:21:18PM -0400, Jamie Rollins wrote:

Why should he not change the link?  Changing the link is what I did.  Why should
the link point to one version of gcc or another?  If anything, I would assume
that you would want to point it to the version that corrseponds to the version
that the kernel was compiled against, if for no other reason that to avoid this
very issue.

Because the link belongs to a package installed by dpkg.  That is why
you shouldn't mess with it.  And the default compiler on sarge is gcc3.3
so changing that can cause other problems.

The correct solution when you have a reason for overriding the gcc
version, is to do CC=gcc-3.4 since that works for properly made build
systems, and doesn't break the defaults.

Breaking everything BUT the kernel hardly seems like justification for
changing the default compiler when you can easily tell the kernel build
which gcc to use.

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just interested to know why. :)

I tried CC=gcc-3.4 but it didn't actually use gcc-3.4. Perhaps the makefile is not quite how it should be.

Thanks for the help though.  I'll change the link back after I've built it.

Cheers,

James