Re: Troubles installing Debian on an ASUS notebook

Sound's like a media problem to me. I'd try checking the md5 sums on the disk (you have to burn disk-at-once), preferably on the laptop. I'm not sure if debian install comes with a checking. You could also try booting from a usb jump drive, not sure what options are available. I know my dell laptop has a very very picky dvd drive, especially for cdroms. Though I expect your Asus to be much better than my dell :-)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
To: "Emmanuel Guiton" <emmanuel.guiton@neuf.fr>
Cc: <debian-amd64@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 10:03 AM
Subject: Re: Troubles installing Debian on an ASUS notebook

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 12:50:32PM +0200, Emmanuel Guiton wrote:
For 2 days, I've been trying to install in vain Debian on my ASUS A6QK30
(AMD Turion 64 processor).
Is there anyone who has successfully done a 64 bit installation on that
kind of notebooks?

I tried these methods:
- installing from the sarge netinst CD: it kind of freezes right after
the country selection
- installing from the sarge CDs: same problem
- installing from the etch netinst CD: I got the following error:
ISOLINUX 2.04 2003-04-16  Copyright (C) 1994-2003 H. Peter Anvin
Could not find kernel image: linux
boot: _

md5 checksums of the downloads were alright.

Does anyone have a clue on how should I proceed?

What chipset, video, etc does that machine use?

Does the i386 sarge installer work on it?