Re: perspectives on 32 bit vs 64 bit

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 04:50:09PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> The question is wether linux supports it too in that mode. It has to
> remap the 64bit page tables into the strange 64GB address setup.

I meant the chip supports 64GB in 32bit mode.  It is entirely an OS
thing and does nothing whatsoever for the application, so in 64bit mode
it has no meaning.  PAE never helps an application have more than 4GB of
address space.  So in 64bit mode, 32bit applications still have the same
4GB limit they do in 32bit mode (both with and without PAE).  The only
difference is to allow 64GB in 32bit mode for the OS to address.

> IF. That is the big question.

In 64bit mode the OS doesn't need PAE to address more than 4GB ram, so
it has no meaning.