Re: Laptop temperature

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 09:56:53PM +0200, Hugh Waite wrote:
> I've noticed the occasional mention of temperatures (usually checking to
> see if this is causing crashes) including the "Asus K8N, Cool'n'Quiet,
> and sensors.conf" thread.
> I have a Compaq Presario R3000 with an Athlon 3400+ which has power
> states 800Mhz, 1.8GHz & 2.2GHz. I've had it doing hard work all evening
> and the temperature (/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature) is 51*C.
> Is this dangerously high?

Sounds fairly reasonable to me.

> I set the power level at 1.8GHz because full load at 2.2GHz can put the
> temperature near 70*C. The fans are not currently at full speed but they
> do speed up if I set power to 2.2GHz (and the temperature climbs).

Make sure you have the laptop on a desk, since the R3000s have the two
intake fans at the bottom of the case and need to have some space around
the feet to draw in air.  Otherwise it gets rather hot.

70C is still an acceptable temperature for the athlon 64 as far as I
know, and if that is running full out, that seems ok.  It is a small
laptop case after all, and not a desktop with a giant heatsink.

> I have yet to have any problems (that weren't software) and my PC
> (Athlon 3400+) also runs around this temp (at full load 2.2GHz)
>
> Should I be worried?

I wouldn't think so.

If you have apci-cpufreq loaded, and possibly the cpufreqd program
installed, it should move the speed up and down on demand which seems to
do a pretty good job keeping it cool.  of course airflow through the
laptop is the main thing needed to keep it cool.  Perhaps _lap_top is
the wrong name for these things. :)  I certainly don't recommend running
it in your lap.