Re: nvidia driver overrides gdm.conf AutomaticLogin !?? SOLVED!

Hi Ratti!

--- Joerg Rossdeutscher <ratti@gesindel.de> wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 07.10.2005, 15:57 -0700 schrieb Ali
> H. Caliskan:
> > Mike was right about modules-assist, since the new
> > nvidia-kernel that I compiled manually(make-kpkg
> > modules_image) works fine with gnome login
> manager!
>
> Wow. I had the problem for some weeks under x86 and
> nobody could help.
> Great not to be alone. :-)

Do you still experience this problem or have you tried
to compile/build the nvidia-kernel manually? I just
wonder if it works with you. What I've learned from my
experiences so far. is that installing nvidia driver,
can bee relatively easy :) I tried to build manually
with my stock kernel but it didn't work, since the
nvidia driver couldn't build. I don't know why but I
followed Andrews
guide(http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html).
However, building nvidia drivers as a kernel module
works fine. I actually did build nvidia 1.0-7676
driver this way, but it was too unstable.

> I've discovered funny stuff:
>
> 1. When I kill gdm and restart it as root from the
> terminal - it works.

Yes, It works with me to, like Mike suggested.

> 2. Sometimes, when I just want to finish my session,
> I am immediately
> automatically re-login'ed.
>
> So, the mechanism isn't totally broken. It works
> sometimes.

Yes, you might be right, but when you do reboot then
auto-login will not work. When I do a quick
reboot(shutdown -f now) after disabling and enabling
gdm, then it works. However, this differences that
affect the gdm auto login, makes me wanna learn more
about what's going on when you do a normal boot and a
quick boot..

> I've found a very simple solution: Don't use the
> normal autologin
> feature. Use the one that logs in a user after X
> seconds. I use 2
> seconds and it works. Since I have no second user
> this is acceptable and
> less work as reinstalling this and that.

I think this is a good solution, since I used this
option as well. But if you change your mind, here is a
easy mini-howto, which will perhaps solve your porlem.
I skipped the 6th step, since I've installed the linux
kernel source. And if you have the kernel source, then
you can build a nvidia module, by typing "make-kpkg
modules_image" as root in your current linux kernel
directory(ie /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.12-1-amd64-k8/)

After that, you can follow the other rest steps and
you'll realize how easy it can be to install the
nvividia driver after all, without module-assist. And
don't forget to load the nvidia driver before reboot!

The nividia howto is can be found here:
http://saraf.web.cse.unsw.edu.au/nvidia-driver-howto.html

Good luck and please share the result! I would like to
know if this works with you as well.

Ali

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/