Re: Athlon64 Dual Core powernow

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:

> For the fan, you can use thenam controlled fans or the fancontrol
> program which is part of the lm-sensors package

OK, now I'm confused. Some googling around finds this AMD document:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/Cool_N_Quiet_Installation_Guide3.pdf
which says:

All AMD Athlon 64 Processor-In-A-Box packages include thermally
controlled fans. A thermally controlled fan detects the current
temperature of the processor using a thermistor, and when a lower
temperature is detected the fan speed and noise is then reduced. Upon
detection of a higher temperature the fan speed is resumed at full speed
to appropriately cool the processor.

Now, I've managed to increase my CPU temp ~20F, yet the CPU fan speed
has not increased... and it's the funny-looking Cool'n'Quiet
fan/heatsink which came with the CPU.

Is 108F just too cool for it to do anything?

[The MB does have a PWM driver, but the MB manual insists Cool'n'Quiet
is something different.]

I guess I really shouldn't worry, though, as the CPU normally runs at
~84F, and its nice and quiet...