Re: AMD64 System Becomes Unresponsive During Software RAID Synchronization

On 10/2/05, Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> wrote:
> On 10/2/05, Eric Sorton <esorton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is anyone successfully using software RAID on an AMD64 system?
>
> I expect that lots of people are, particularly some Opteron users. I am
> running RAID 1 on my Athlon64 3000+ system. Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939
> motherboard.

I would expect the same.  Just wanted to hear someone say, "it works".

>> Has anyone installed Linux on this MB?  With or without SATA?
>> Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be wrong or possible
workarounds?

> It seems unlikely that it's caused by software RAID. I suspect a more
> fundamental problem like bad RAM, CPU overheating etc. Could you test
> for that?

Again I agree.  I wouldn't expect it to be caused by software RAID.
Again, just wanted to hear someone say "it works".  I'm leaning
towards blaming the SATA ULi driver right now, just now sure how to
narrow it down to that and find then get someone to fix it.

I'll run memtest86 to check for bad RAM.  It is not overheating.  It's
on my bench right now (no case) and the CPU heat sink is just above
ambient.  The BIOS reports CPU temps below 35C.

> What's a "Sempron 64" anyway? No mention of it at www.amd.com.
> I thought (some) Sempron processors were Athlon64s with the 64-bit
> disabled, meaning you could only run i386 linux on it.

They have only been out for a month or so.  You are correct, the
original socket 754 Semprons were Athlon 64s with less cache and the
64-bit disabled.  The Sempron 64s are Athlon 64s with less cache and
the 64-bit enabled.  You can pick up the 2600+ for $63 from NewEgg.  I
couldn't find anything specific on amd.com either, but a Google search
of "Sempron 64" turns up a ton of links.

Eric