Re: AMD64 System Becomes Unresponsive During Software RAID Synchronization

On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 03:27:58PM -0400, Eric Sorton wrote:
> I installed a base system and then, after the installation was
> complete, activated a single, mirrored software raid using mdadm.
> After the synchronization process has started, I can use the system
> normally.  I can cat /proc/mdstat and see how far it has progressed.
> Within a couple of minutes, when I execute cat /proc/mdstat, the
> system doesn't return any data.  I cannot stop the cat with either
> control-C or control-Z.  I can no longer log into the system either on
> the console or through ssh.  I can switch between virtual consoles.
> The machine still reponds to pings.  There are no errors on the
> console.
>
> This leaves me with a couple of questions ...
>
> Is anyone successfully using software RAID on an AMD64 system?

I expect that lots of people are, particularly some Opteron users. I am
running RAID 1 on my Athlon64 3000+ system. Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939
motherboard.

> Has anyone installed Linux on this MB?  With or without SATA?
> Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be wrong or possible workarounds?

It seems unlikely that it's caused by software RAID. I suspect a more
fundamental problem like bad RAM, CPU overheating etc. Could you test
for that?

What's a "Sempron 64" anyway? No mention of it at www.amd.com.
I thought (some) Sempron processors were Athlon64s with the 64-bit
disabled, meaning you could only run i386 linux on it.

Hamish