Re: nvida driver is not working after reboot

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 12:21:34AM +0200, Alexander Fieroch wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > You can always try adding 'nvidia' to /etc/modules
>
> Yes, I do have.
>
> > Then it WILL load the module on boot.
>
> No, the problem was udev that did not create the special nvidia devices.
> Thanks to Rob Sims (same thread) the problem now is fixed for me.

Of course the permissions aren't set - it isn't udev after all creating
the nodes; it's the init script (where I found links.conf in the first
place!).  My mistake.

There doesn't appear to be a "Debian way" of doing this; after all, it's
non-free software.  What I have done now is in links.conf:

--------------------
# sysfs doesn't play with non-GPL modules as of 2.6.13
M nvidia0       c 195 0
M nvidia1       c 195 1
M nvidia2       c 195 2
M nvidia3       c 195 3
M nvidiactl     c 195 255
G nvidia*       video
P nvidia*       0660
--------------------

And in /etc/init.d/udev changed the case statement in make_extra_nodes:

--------------------
    case "$type" in
      L) ln -s $arg1 /dev/$name ;;
      D) mkdir -p /dev/$name ;;
      M) mknod --mode=600 /dev/$name $arg1 ;;
      O) chown /dev/$name $arg1 ;;
      G) chgrp /dev/$name $arg1 ;;
      P) chmod /dev/$name $arg1 ;;
      *) log_warning_msg "links.conf: unparseable line ($type $name $arg1)" ;;
    esac
--------------------

Anyone:
Is there a better/cleaner way of mixing udev, nvidia proprietary, and 2.6.13+?

The init.d says "I hate this hack.  -- Md" and links.conf says:
# This file does not exist. Please do not ask the debian maintainer about it.
# You may use it to do strange and wonderful things, at your risk.

If there's no better alternative, I'll submit a patch for the
init.d/udev script to add the O|G|P commands.  If desired, I'll also
submit one for links.conf with the entries for nvidia commented out.
--
Rob