Building a 64-bit module on i386

I'm running the Debian i386 architecture with an amd64-k8 kernel. To
compile a kernel module two Makefile variables must be set:
ARCH=x86_64 CC='gcc-3.4 -m64'. I've tried setting these as environment
variables, and I've tried hacking them into various source files, but
they inevitably get overwritten when, I'm presuming, the module source
is freshly unpacked for each module-assistant call. How can I pass
these arguments to module-assistant?

Great tool by the way. It worked beautifully on my i386 system at home.

Cheers,
Shaun