ia32-libs question (how does it work?)

I have a little server program compiled in 32 bit land, that I need to run
on my AMD64 sarge box. Normally (on an ia32), I would just copy the binary over to /usr/local/bin and then execute it.
So on my AMD64 box, I tried the same thing, and of course, it didn't work.
(no source code to re-compile it)
So I apt installed the ia32-libs package, and some other ia32 libraries and voila, the 32 bit program launched normally.
Thats quite slick.

After installing the ia32-libs package,
I'm just curious to know how the 32 bit program knows where to look to find the correct libraries? I see that there is a new folder called /emul/ia32-linux. This was created from the ia32-lib package?

I quickly peeked in the docs, but didn't see much. Maybe I missed it.
Is there a web page out there that explains how ia32-libs works?
Just curious, Thx!

Cheers,
Mike