Re: network card on AMD64 installation

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 09:17:01PM -0400, Julian Bolivar wrote:
> Really i think that the system had a problem with some network cards or
> some Motherboards, because I try to install debian AMD64 on my new MSI
> K8N Neo4 that use nvidia nforce 4 chipset and Debian AMD64 didn't detect
> any network card during the install process and after that. When the
> system was installed I try  to compile and  install the nforce kernel
> module downloaded from nvidia web page, but it don't install because
> "the kernel version that was compiled is different from the version that
> is loaded" and really I don't know why this if i used the kernel source
> code and headers that came with the DVD iso.
>
> After that i think "ok, let me disable the on board network card and use
> other in a PCI slot" and fist I put a D'Link DFE-530TX that use the old
> VIA chip set and Debian don't see this new card, then I change the
> D'link by a 3COM 3C905B-TX and ok the system it recognizes that, but my
> surprise is that Debian don't see the net, It can configure the card by
> DHCP, I try to configure manually, but it don't see any other machine in
> the network.
>
> I know that all the hardware is fine because I try using other
> distribution and all work fine, because it I think that the problem is
> in debian distribution on some hardware configuration.

You should try doing 'modprobe forcedeth' from console 2 during install
since for some reason 2.6.8 seems to fail to detect the nforce ethernet
on many boards (later kernels see it just fine), but even when lspci
doesn't show it, the driver still works just fine for some odd reason.

Worth a try.

There is no need to mess with the binary from nvidia at all.