Re: alsa and amd64 arch

En/La Brian R. Whitecotton ha escrit, a 01/09/05 06:40:
> Try booting with a Knoppix CD. Let it correctly indentify the sound
> hardware, let it correctly load the modules and then inspect the
> configuration.  Of course, this will only identify the modules that work
> with the linux kernel distributed with Knoppix BUT it will give some
> insight.  Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice, Brian, but I don't think you understand the
nature of the problem. I don't need to boot up with knoppix. I have a
very nicely working 2.6.8 i386 installation. Debian has no problem with
my hardware and I know what modules etc. need to be loaded. So booting
with knoppix won't tell me anything new (in fact that's what I did when
I first got this system and then installed 32bit Debian). The problem is
specific to my separate (sitting on a different HD) 2.6.8-11-amd64-k8
installation. The required driver is snd_via82xx but it won't install
for some obscure reason that (up to now) nobody seems to know. It seems
to have something to do with the arch folder not containing an amd64
entry; at least that's what alsa is complaining about. (see my other
posts for more details)
Thanks anyway,
Jonathan
--
Please don't cc: your posting to my personal address.
Thank you.