Re: amd-64 vs Pure-64

Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa <icamargo@unet.edu.ve> writes:

> The OpenOffice sources are avaible from the OpenOffice project.  He
> just built them for Debian AMD64.

Just for your information: That is absolutely irelevant. As
distributer of the binary he has to follow the GPL. What some other,
no matter how closely related, project does is irelevant.

> What you should ask is: Marc, how did you done that? Which is what I
> think you wanna know.
>
> I don't know why you have to start bothering this way.  Not all the
> people have enough room to hold the complete sources, and the project
> isn't *his* project (I don't even think he has modified the source, at
> least not that much), it is OpenOffice, and you can download it
> elsewhere.  He just wanted to explain that he was able to build it for
> AMD64, and probe it.

If you don't have enough space for the full source then you can't
legally put up binaries. That is just as it is.

That is also the reason why we have projects like sourecforge or
alioth. There is enough space for the debian-amd64 project on alioth
to host the source and debs. If space is the problem.

> I think that he is pretending to help the community, or else: why
> would he post it to the mail list?

I think he doing more than pretending. And this mail is in no way ment
against him. Consider it an encouragement to be even better.

> I believe that he'll post the instructions on how he did so, and we
> will be able to use OpenOffice2 native 64bits soon.  But all you can
> do is start with technisims.  There are people out there that really
> violates the GPL, and at a commercial level, why don't you go, look
> for them, and start to sue them! (I would help).

To sue you have to hold the copyright of material they use in the
violation of the GPL. If you do by all means fight for your and free
software rights.

I'm already happy if the people supporting the GPL do follow it, but
that means including its drawbacks. How else can we point to some
comercial schemer for violating the GPL if the community itself
ignores the parts it doesn't like.

> c-ya!
>
> Ildefonso Camargo

MfG