Re: Onboard raid controllers a problem?

Steve Dondley <sdondley@dondley.com> writes:

> Is anyone out there running a AMD64 system with onboard raid
> controllers?  Any problems?  I'm looking at buying a server with a
> Tyan Thunder K8S Pro S2882G3NR motherboard with an onboard cotnroller
> but the server complany states on their website that:
>
> "Support for onboard RAID controllers has been depreciated in the
> Linux 2.6 Kernel. If you desire RAID the system may be configured with
> software RAID or you may select a hardware RAID controller."
>
> Can anyone out there back this up or refute it?

Onboard raid controler in this case refers to all those softraid
controlers that do software raid. Unless you need to run windows on
the same raid you don't even want the crapy raid support from those
cards but the normal just-a-bunch-of-disks mode.

If you do need to share the raid with windows then some drivers have
coresponding device mapper configs or you can create your own with a
little bit of try&error. But only if you must.

MfG
        Goswin