Re: http://http.us.debian.org/debian-amd64/debian/ gone?

On (16/09/05 13:13), lordSauron wrote:
> so it would probably be best to stick with testing releases, since
> stable is usually too old and unstable has the possibility of having a
> few large errors, correct?

There have been many posts to the list on this subject which go into
considerable detail; I suggest you goole a bit for more info but:

stable - rock solid for servers ( and desktopsof  newbies/cautious) -
security updates but no functionality updates

testing - for the desktops of the adventurous and those prepared to help
test - security updates (in time) and functionality upgrades until a
release freeze (before being released as stable)

unstable - for the latest stuff on debian - all updates from the
experimental branch, bug fixes etc.

You can run later packages on stable by using backports:
http://backports.org/

Alternatively you can run Ubuntu or Kubuntu which are derivative
distros:
http://www.clivemenzies.co.uk/selfhelp/desktop.html

FWIW I upgraded to sid after learning Debian on stable for a few months.

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...