Re: http://http.us.debian.org/debian-amd64/debian/ gone?

On (16/09/05 10:16), lordSauron wrote:
> wow... thanks.
>
> if I did something devious like so:
>
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-amd64/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian-amd64/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
>
> I could probably see both packages, to see whether I wanted one or the
> other, or would apt-get filter the older one?

Whoa there :)

Before you start mixing packages from difference releases read:
http://www.debian.org/releases/

You can upgrade from stable to testing to sid but you cannot reverse the
process (easily).  Different releases can have fundamentally different
dependencies and if you mix packages you can break your system.  Trying
to fix it will teach you a lot but will take you some time.

apt-pinning is used to manage mixed packages and requires careful study.
If you search the mailing list archives you'll find a lot of posts on
the merits of different releases.

Regards

Clive

--