Re: ia32-libs and dynamic loading paths

On 8/19/05, Matthias Julius <lists@julius-net.net> wrote:
> Shouldn't multiarch solve these problems as well?

Maybe, but it seems to be a lot more complicated. I have a 32bit and a
64bit root, because I have both systems installed. In the 64bit
system, I mount the 32bit system on /mnt/sda3. I have set up
/etc/ld.so.conf to point there, but because of dlopen() a lot of
libraries don't work.

> Then packages would
> install their modules in /usr/lib/$arch/$package (or was it
> /usr/lib-$arch/$package?) and everyone should be happy.

Yes, it probably would, but I rather have a solution that works now
than some better solution much later. That will not harm multiarch,
but it will give the users a working system much sooner.

Thomas