Re: ia32-libs and dynamic loading paths

Goswin von Brederlow writes:
 > > libX11.so.2 loading the locale dependent libraries in
 > > /usr/X11R6/lib/locale/lib/common. This causes the "X11 locale not

 > Are those file actualy architecture dependend and why so?

They are shared libraries, but they are loaded using dlopen(), not
using ld.so. I found a note on this problem at the end of
  http://www.linuxbase.org/futures/ideas/multiarch/
but it addresses apache plug-ins, where one presumably would configure
a 32-bit apache to load them from a 32-bit tree.

 > The right way to solve this is to compile the lib with multiarch
 > directories on all archs.

I looked into the libX11 sources, and while it can take a list of
directories to search, it does not check whether the loadable
libraries are compatible and simply takes the first directory that has
a locale.dir in it.

Maybe one way to solve this would be to modify dlopen() to look at
alternate locations by prepending /emul/target? Or at least to provide
a dlopen_multiarch() that does that?

Could one talk the glibc maintainers to allow that?

BTW, what is the status of multiarch between debian and ubuntu? ubuntu
seems to use the old lib32/lib64 approach...

-Christoph
--
Christoph Best                                      cbst at tigertiger de
Max-Planck-Institute of Biochemistry, Munich      http://tigertiger.de/cb