unable to upgrade packages via apt-get

Hello,

For the past while I have been experiencing problems with my apt-get command
and I was wondering if anyone might be able to  help me with my
difficulties.

The problem is that my apt-get will not seam to update/upgrade any of my
packages even though I know there are new packages available by looking in
/var/lib/dpkg/available.

As an example, I currently have lynx V2.8.5REL1  installed but my
/var/lib/dpkg/available file indicates that the latest package is Lynx
V2.8.5-2.  When I execute: apt-get upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade I get:

Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...

This seams to be the standard response from the apt-get command as it does
this for other packages as well.  In fact it has been a couple of months
since any packages have updated/upgraded.

My sources.list is as follows:  (I have tried the Bytekeeper mirror in
Belgium as well with identical results)

deb ftp://ftp.debian.de/debian-amd64/debian-amd64 sarge contrib main non-free
deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.de/debian-amd64/debian-amd64 sarge contrib main non-free

When I run: apt-get update it does return information about hitting kmy
sources  so I believe that is working.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks,
  Monty