Re: unable to upgrade packages via apt-get

Monty wrote:
> The problem is that my apt-get will not seam to update/upgrade any of my
> packages even though I know there are new packages available by looking in
> /var/lib/dpkg/available.
>
> As an example, I currently have lynx V2.8.5REL1  installed but my
> /var/lib/dpkg/available file indicates that the latest package is Lynx
> V2.8.5-2.  When I execute: apt-get upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade I get:

That really does not make sense to me.  What does apt-cache policy
say?

  apt-cache policy lynx

You may have some type of pinning active which is declaring a
preference for the stable depot.

> Reading Package Lists...
> Building Dependency Tree...
>
> This seams to be the standard response from the apt-get command as it does
> this for other packages as well.  In fact it has been a couple of months
> since any packages have updated/upgraded.

You seem to have missed the announcements that Sarge has been
released.  Sarge is now the Debian stable release.  There have not
been any changes to Sarge for months.  It won't be changing again
except for security updates and for the regularly produced minor
updates (adding an r# such as 3.0r6 to the release).

> My sources.list is as follows:  (I have tried the Bytekeeper mirror in
> Belgium as well with identical results)
>
> deb ftp://ftp.debian.de/debian-amd64/debian-amd64 sarge contrib main
> non-free
> deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.de/debian-amd64/debian-amd64 sarge contrib main
> non-free

You seem to be missing the security updates.  These are strongly
recommended.  You should add the following to your sources.list file
to install Debian security updates.

  deb http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main contrib non-free

If you want to track testing then you would need to change the sarge
to either etch or testing.  I would not recommend either etch or sid
at the moment.  There are too many transitions all happening at once.

Bob