problem compiling freevo w/ mmpython

  Hopefully someone out there has compiled/used freevo
(http://freevo.sourceforge.net/) on a Debian AMD64 machine.  I'm
trying to download the source and compile it myself, but if anyone
knows of an AMD64 repository for precompiled versions, that would be
helpful.

  I'm running a system using Debian unstable and kernel 2.6.12.  I've
downloaded and (I think) successfully installed mmpython (at
/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/mmpython/).  Still, when
I try to compile/install  freevo by typing:

    python setup.py install

it tells me I don't have mmpython installed:

  checking for mmpython...   not found

 What could the problem be?  Any help would be much appreciated.

 Thanks,
   Sunil