Status of the amd64/gcc4 archive on alioth

On 05-Aug-04 19:31, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> The Alioth ppc64 project also hosts the Amd64 gcc-3.4/4.0 archive that
> Andreas compiled. Questions related to archive problems or bugs only
> present there were redirected to the ppc64 list by at least me and
> probably more debian-amd64 people.
>
> Maybe Andreas can give a little status update for the archive. With
> sid having the new compiler the amd64 part of the archive becomes
> quickly redundant. I guess after the C++ transition it can cease to
> exist.

Yes, when the C++ transition is complete, the amd64/gcc4 archive will
have served its purpose. I do not see any reason to continue the
amd64/gcc4 archive after that.

I plan to switch to gcc-4.1 soon and check which packages have problems
to compile with gcc-4.1, but I do not think that there will be a need
for a public gcc-4.1 archive.

The ppc64 archive on alioth will be continued. Because gcc-4.0 is
the default compiler now, the number of patched packages in the ppc64
archive can be reduced significantly. Many ppc64 related patches have
already been applied by the Debian maintainers or by upstream. The ppc64
archive will soon be able to use the unpatched debian sources.
Currently, almost 95% of the Debian source packages have been built for
ppc64.

Regards
Andreas Jochens