lspci reports the card as VIA Technologies Inc., VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller

i've got 2.6.11 kernel with OSS disabled and ALSA enabled (compiled into the kernel). OSS Mixer API, OSS PCM API and OSS Sequencer API are compiled into the kernel as well. controller for my card is also compiled in - it's VIA82C686A/B, 8233/8235 AC97 Controller from the "PCI devices" section.

after boot, i have appropriate(?) lines in dmesg:
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.8 (Thu Jan 13 09:39:32 2005 UTC).
via82xx: Assuming DXS channels with 48k fixed sample rate.
         Please try dxs_support=1 or dxs_support=4 option
         and report if it works on your machine.
ALSA device list:
  #0: VIA 8237 with ALC658 at 0xe600, irq 22

then, i can use my soundcard via OSS (how come? i didn't compile the OSS in. is it coming from the emulation?) strangely, only root can access the mixer (/dev/mixer) and dsp (/dev/dsp), although my user is a member of the audio correct group. changing permissions of these 2 files helps. why adding user to a group doesn't solve it?

i tried alsaconf to find my card - didn't find anything. also, alsamixer fails:
function sdl_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

what's going on here? do i need to remove the abovementioned OSS emulation parts of the kernel and compile them as modules? or does the problem lie somewhere else? the answer is probably obvious, but i can't see it...

thank you for any hint.

best regards,

--
Lubos