Re: Mixing CPU's

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 02:06:11AM -0400, Nathan Dragun wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is CPU related or if its mobo chipset related, but
> there is a significant difference between the 939's and 940's, as the
> 939's like standard unregistered memory... 940's will only take reg
> ecc.   Hence the reason they went from the 754 to the 939 since no one
> wanted to buy the more expensive ram necessary to run it (possibly other
> reasons too).

socket 754 and 939 seemed to be released at just about the same time.
754 has single channel memory, 939 has dual channel (like 940, but yes
the difference there is unregistered/registered memory use).

I forget what the new socket(s) are called that will replace those
eventually.

> Actually.... they were reffering to the fact that a 1xx would not work
> period on a 2xx board.  From what I understand the HT pathway is only
> used when using multiple cpus (ie: cpu to cpu communications).  So even
> if you use one lone 1xx cpu, aparently, its supposed to work on a 2xx board.

I wish I had a chance to try it.  But no opterons around here. :)