Re: Mixing CPU's

Samat Jain wrote:

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 12:01:27PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
I had a MSI K8D Master3 (380 Euro, Two Opteron 240) which drived me
crazy and I have tried to run one of those CPU's on a Singel-Opteron
mainboard from Tyan and it does not work.

Then I have bought two Tyan Dual-Opteron Boards andused it with only
one CPU each, which works very fine.

Then I have tried to run a Opteron 142 on a Dual-CPU-Board and it does
not work.

So you NEED the right CPU to your Mainboard. You can not use a 1xx on
a Mainboard which was made for a 2xx.

I wonder if that is for technical reasons, or just lack of cpu support
in the bioses.

The Opteron 1xx series of processors are basically conventional Athlon 64 939-pin processors with an extra pin.

I'm not sure if this is CPU related or if its mobo chipset related, but there is a significant difference between the 939's and 940's, as the 939's like standard unregistered memory... 940's will only take reg ecc. Hence the reason they went from the 754 to the 939 since no one wanted to buy the more expensive ram necessary to run it (possibly other reasons too).

The Opteron 2xx and 8xx series, however, are different--they both have a different count of what is called "coherent HyperTransport links." These links are used for transferring SMP protocol type things (cache coherency checks, cache snooping, etc) between processors. The 2xx series has one of these links (it can connect to one other processor), while the 8xx has three. This is the reason why you can't use a 1xx processor in a 2-CPU system, or a 2xx processor in a 4 or 8-CPU system, but can use an 8xx processor everywhere (the extra coherent links just will not be used).

Actually.... they were reffering to the fact that a 1xx would not work period on a 2xx board. From what I understand the HT pathway is only used when using multiple cpus (ie: cpu to cpu communications). So even if you use one lone 1xx cpu, aparently, its supposed to work on a 2xx board.

Nathan
Code is poetry.