Re: Upgrading to current udev is disastrous if not on kernel 2.6.12

On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 10:44:36AM -0700, tony mancill wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > Even if you build your own you should use make-kpkg.
>
> I suppose that's true...  For whatever reason, I've never been able to
> get into the habit of make-kpkg on my individual workstation.  It's
> fantastic for groups of production machines and any situation where
> consistency is warranted.

I use it just to keep things clean; you can purge and know that
everything is gone. Still I suppose it's only a couple of files in
/boot, a directory in /lib/modules and an entry in the grub menu.

> I wonder if it wouldn't be easier for stock kernel users if there were a
> convenience script that used equivs to satisfy the kernel dependency,
> Debian-style, as it were.  Given something like that was available and
> easy to use, from a "distribution integrity" perspective an explicit
> Depends: on a kenrel version doesn't seem like such a bad thing for
> situations like udev.  Of course, it only solves the coarse-grained
> "this version is required" problem, and not any finer-grained things
> like "the Debian-patched version of the kernel is required."

Even then, having the kernel installed doesn't mean you are currently
running it. Package dependencies on the running kernel will probably never
be usable.

Hamish