Re: Upgrading to current udev is disastrous if not on kernel 2.6.12

On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 12:33:12PM +0200, Joerg Rossdeutscher wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 16.07.2005, 17:22 +1000 schrieb Hamish Moffatt:
> > I can't imagine how it's a good idea to upload a package which depends
> > on a kernel not available for Debian yet.
>
> Packages should not depend on any kernel, since many people run their
> own. However, I just don't understand why the package has been published
> at all, since even in experimental there is no 2.6.12.

Yes I mean depend as in need, not as in Depends: in the package control
file. The new udev needs a new kernel. Most users don't have that
kernel. It does not seem logical to upload the new udev then.

Even if you build your own you should use make-kpkg.

Hamish