Re: AMD 64 Stability on Asus A8v Deluxe

Alexander Voss wrote:

1) kernel compilation test with the following script:

#!/bin/tcsh
# ramtest
#
   make ARCH=i386 bzImage
    foreach i (0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9)
      foreach j (0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9)
       foreach k (0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9)
        ( make clean;make ARCH=i386 bzImage  > log."$i"$j$k ) >&
log.err."$i"$j$k
      end
    end
  end

I must end up with 1000 identical Logfiles
This means you have all the 32Bit Programms mirrored too? And then you >try
to compile a 64 bit Kernel.

Thanks for your hints regarding the mixed 32/64 bit environment.

In the mirrored installation I upgraded to 64bit kernel gcc 3.4 and amd64-libs but could not build the kernel with the usual "make mrproper;make menuconfig; make", the error here was always
cc1: error: code model `kernel' not supported in the 32 bit mode
make[1]: *** [scripts/empty.o] Error 1
make: *** [scripts] Error 2

which was discussed in this list previously but to my knowledge without any straight forward solution. That's why I changed my test script to "make ARCH=i386 bzImage", which builds 32bit kernels. Anyway my goal was not to build a perfect kernel
for my system but to get a stable and reproducable compiler run.

So I made a fresh installation of the amd64 port but got the same
devistating premature compiler stops, segmentation faults (thank you for
the correct translation :-) and kernel panics when I used my test 2) with the tar archive loops.

I think /Jean-Luc Coulon's hint with the relaxed memory timings in 64bit mode (I think the setting here was always AUTO) is a good idea, I will try that later in the day. Also I am waiting for the delivery of some Kingston Value Ram memory modules which are listed in compatibilty list
of the Asus manual.

greetings

Matthias Wenthe

/