Re: abit ax8 - strange behavior

Lubos Vrbka wrote:

hi guys,

for something like 2 months i have amd64-based computer with abit ax8 motherboard (2 gigs of memory, 4x sata drives). system is debian testing, kernel 2.6.11-4. i could see some strange behavior (mostly) in the last days:

1) in the /var/log/messages, i can see the following
Losing some ticks... checking if CPU frequency changed.
warning: many lost ticks
Your time source seems to be instable or some driver is hogging interrupts. this i think was happening from the beginning, however recently i observed one more error occuring:
rip _do_softirq+0x48/0xb0

I reported about my kernel panics with the Asus A8V Deluxe in 64bit mode previously in this list.

All I can add to your findings is, that randomly after a warm start after my system crashes my system reported the same messages during booting. Usually then the onboard GBit ethernet port refused initialisation and the problem could only be solved by powering the system down
for a minute and doing a fresh cold start.

2) it might be connected to the problem above
it happened several times - the machine froze when i was writing some data on the harddrive. e.g., i wanted to copy 2 directories from a remote machine using
tar c dir1 dir2 | ssh machine "cd dir; tar xv"
this froze everytime somewhere in dir1 on the same file. then, i tried copying dir2 first and subsequent copy of dir1 proceeded ok!

Did the machine come back after a while or did it completely crash? If latter that would remind me to my system crashes during the generation of tar archives in an endless loop as an I/O stability test.

Best regards,

Matthias Wenthe