Re: fill free space partition

Am Sonntag, 10. Juli 2005 16:45 schrieb Hans:
> Am Sonntag, 10. Juli 2005 16:23 schrieb antongiulio05:
> > Hi,
> >
> > in my hd I have this situation:
> >
> > windows xp || / (root debian) 7GB || swap 1.5GB || /home 20GB ||
> > freespace 27GB
> >
> > Freespace was for other distros, but with debian they are useless for me,
> > and so I want fill free space with debian partition proportionally, to
> > get a new situation like this:
> >
> > windows xp || / (root debian) 14GB || swap 1.5GB || /home 40GB
> >
> > I read various linux-partitioning guides and HOWTOs, but I have no idea
> > if above scheme is feasible. Have you any suggestions?
>
> Hi Gulio,
>
> just try Knoppix > version 3.7  and qtparted. I suppose, this will do it.
>
> Best regards
>
> Hans
>
> BTW: Did you have my problem with the bright sreen and my XF86Config, too ?
>
> > Thanks,
> > (and sorry for boring question)
> > Giulio

There is another fine working way, if you have another Computer with enough
harddrive-spaceh  and a proper filesystem (ext2 or ext3) handy:

Connect both computers via ethernet.
Boot both computers with (A) with linux, the one to be saved (B), use Knoppix.
Now connect B with A using ssh (this is needed to excahnge the ssh_keys)

Whne connection is established, do this:

rsync -avz Source-IP:/   Destination-IP:/Path-on-whreyou-want-it/

Now all Datas are saved. Now you can very easy use parted or some other, or
format youre partitions new, whatever.

When finished, do the same backwards.

This works very fine, with no data loss.

For  more info chack rsync manual.

Best regards

Hans