Re: fill free space partition

Hi Giulio,

El dom, 10-07-2005 a las 16:23 +0200, antongiulio05 escribió:

> in my hd I have this situation:
>
> windows xp || / (root debian) 7GB || swap 1.5GB || /home 20GB || freespace 27GB
>
> Freespace was for other distros, but with debian they are useless for me, and so I want fill free space with debian partition proportionally, to get a new situation like this:
>
> windows xp || / (root debian) 14GB || swap 1.5GB || /home 40GB
>
> I read various linux-partitioning guides and HOWTOs, but I have no idea if above scheme is feasible.
> Have you any suggestions?

I'm no expert but I've resized some partitions before. Choose one
resizer you feel comfortable with (you can play with a few without
saving the changes), making sure it supports your filesystem (there are
some known problems with GNU parted, I think, and big ext2 partitions).

Assuming that you use ext2 for / and /home, you'll need to do some
clever rearranging (a la Sokoban) making use of the free space, because
you can't move the beginning of an ext2 partition (in this case /home
would be the issue). If your partitioning software can't do the clever
tricks for you, I recommend the following strategy:

-1) Backup. Not technically necessary.
0) Boot from a different filesystem (rescue disk, mkfs, etc.) that
contains your software of choice.
1) Get rid of the swap.
2) Create the smallest partition that will accommodate all the data
in /home at the very end of the freespace, copy /home there.
3) Get rid of your original /home.
4) Extend root to 14GB.
5) Create(1) swap after root.
6) Create /home after the swap using all the remaining space, and copy
all data from your temporary /home at the end of freespace.
7) Remove the temporary /home (the last one) and grow the real /home to
use the remaining freespace.

Note 1: when I say create, don't forget to create the partition, set its
type (different for swap partitions) and format it.

If your repartitioning software is a bit clever you might be able to
save some steps, but the instructions above should work even with the
dumbest of applications.

Greetings,
--
Javier Kohen <jkohen@users.sourceforge.net>