Re: Debian/Ubuntu/Redhat which is better for heavy duty computations?

Alexandru Cabuz <alexcabuz@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if anybody knows if there exist benchmarks done to
> compare the performance for floating point computations (for example
> lapack) on opteron with the Debian, Ubuntu and Redhat AMD 64 ports.
>
> My research group recently got a couple of new multi-proc opteron
> machines and even though they shipped with redhat enterprise, being a
> fan of debian I was wondering if Debian AMD64 or Ubuntu might not be
> better?  Has anybody compared performance systematically?
>
> Alex.

They are all exactly the same given the same kernel, compiler and
libs. Same source, same result.

Even with different libs and kernel there should be no difference for
heavy floating point computations as you won't be calling libs or
kernel often.

So it all just comes down to what compiler version and flags you are
using.

MfG
        Goswin