Re: nforce4 hardware: disappeared rtc device

On Thursday 30 June 2005 14:50, Håkan Stefansson wrote:
> Hi,
>  [stuff deleted]
> The problem is that the system time was not correctly set up at boot and
> there is no /dev/rtc device file. hwclock --hctosys complains about that
> and refuses to set the system clock.
>
> If I manually create the device file (mknod rtc c 10 135), then hwclock
> --hctosys works and sets the time correctly. Now, if I reboot the
> system, the problem is back and the /dev/rtc I created has disappeared!

I have something similar, except in my case it's /dev/psaux that keeps going
walkies.  I added this as "/etc/rcS.d/S41remake_mouse_device":

#!/bin/sh
if [ ! -e /dev/psaux ]; then
    mknod -m600 /dev/psaux c 10 1
else
    echo "Mouse port already exists."
fi

and it sort of works, although I need to try /etc/init.d/kdm start a few times
before X deigns to start up.  Fortunately, this being GNU/Linux I don't have
to reboot very often, and I can live with it.  If it was some sort of legacy
system that needed rebooting for other reasons beside power failures and
kernel recompiles, I would be climbing the walls by now .....

I'm sure it's related to udev -- the startup messages say something about
mounting a tmpfs over /dev.  Does anyone know what I need to do to get it to
work properly?

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk