Re: Advice sought on moving to AMD64

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 03:18:16PM -0400, Nathan Dragun wrote:
> I hardly see how 24 cables versus 2 is hardly even something you'd have
> to consider making a choice about.  SCSI channels can take one heck of a
> beating, besides, your point is irrelevant since you can have the same
> software raid you'd use for SATA over several SCSI channels as well.

I would prefer a hardware SATA raid like the 3ware cards if doing more
than 2 drives.

> Lastly, all SATA drives have either IDE or SCSI interfaces anyways
> before they go to the SATA channel.

No quite a few new SATA drives are native SATA and are not IDE or SCSI
internally.

The scsi cable shared by all scsi drives in a system is fairly fragile,
and loosing it looses all drives, and in some cases a drive failure
takes out the bus too.  With a cable per drive that problem at least
goes away.  It doesn't solve the issue of what happens if the controller
dies, but scsi has that issue too unless running multiple controllers on
the bus (which is an advantage of scsi very few people take advantage
off.  Maybe SAS will change that).

I used to be a scsi fan, and built machines that used scsi instead of
ide, but not anymore.  SAS I can see a point in, plain scsi I can't.