looking for a mainboard that can boot from HDD formatted USBpendrive

Hello list,
after playing around with an MSI K8T Neo2 for a while I found out
that I can write an ldlinux.sys file (syslinux boot loader) in a
fat 16 partition, zero out the MBR and this crap will be accepted
by the BIOS as a bootable device.
On the other hand if I try starting an ext2 based bootimage f.e. damnsmalllinux the BIOS doesn't find any bootable devices.
Do I completely misconcept the booting process? I heard of
things like bootloader, partition tables and even magic numbers
all !=0.
To me this board seems to have a magic BIOS.
I don't know how it handles real USB HDs but I think to return it.
So: Does anybody know a mainboard whose BIOS is able to read the
MBR of a plugged in USB device?

Raina