Re: Advice sought on moving to AMD64

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

Last I checked the 3114 was not very well supported, although that hashopefully improved by now.  It is of course software raid only so you
are better of pretending it is just a SATA controller and using MD
software raid if you want raid at all.
I wish I could say how well this driver has worked for me or not, but I strictly use SCSI on this machine anyways, so I'm not sure how good/efficient the driver is.

   On-board LAN       : 2 x Broadcom 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet

Are those the tg3 ones?  Is there still an issue with firmware in driver
without source for those or am I confusing them with something else?
Yep this is the TG3, but once again its always worked for me fine.

   SCSI HDD           : 6 x 36GB 15,000 rpm Ultra320

Hmm, expensive stuff.  I am not a scsi person anymore.  The high prices
and lousy performance I got from IBMs 15k rpm scsi drives and raid
controller a few years ago while spending a ton of money just makes me
not interested anymore.  SATA makes much more sense to me.
IBM drives have always been unreliable with nicknames such as 'deathstar' for the deskstar series. IBM sold their hard drive division to Hitachi who is now trying to create a new type of storage with deeper platters so that data can be stored vetrically on the disk instead of horizontally end to end. (So from a side view the data looks like ||||||| instead of ------- ) Anyways, its too bad you didn't really see a performance difference for the money you paid, because I'd go SCSI any day.

Nathan
Code is poetry.