failed to install a chroot environment

I installed debian sarge for amd64 recently and would like to add a
chroot envrionment to run wine and some other stuff. Unfortunately
the installation as described at
failed. Some packages among it libc6 could not be installed because:

/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/preinst: line 126: /dev/null: Permission denied
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/preinst: line 131: /dev/null: Permission denied
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/preinst: line 1: /dev/null: Permission denied

I found out about that when trying to install the stuff from the
archive. But because debootstrap did not complete I'm not sure what
to do now.