Error when trying to install/compile nvidia video driver module

Following instructions from this list, I've been trying to follow this
document when installing/configuring my PC for nvidia support:

/usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-source/README.Debian

When following the instructions to......

5. Then build nvidia-kernel package:

   cd <YOUR BUILD LOCATION>/modules/nvidia-kernel
   debian/rules binary_modules

...... I get the following error msg:.......

Your kernel was configured to include rivafb support!

The rivafb driver conflicts with the NVIDIA driver, please
reconfigure your kernel and *disable* rivafb support, then
try installing the NVIDIA kernel module again.

*** Failed rivafb sanity check. Bailing out! ***

......  What on earth??  Do I need to compile my own kernel?  I've
installed an SMP kernel image via apt-get.  Do I need to roll my own
kernel to get rid of this "rivafb" support?  Please no!

Actually I can find a kernel module in:......

:/lib/modules/2.6.8-11-amd64-k8-smp/kernel/drivers/video/riva#

..... called rivafb.ko, so hopefully its just a matter of changing video
modules?  This goes beyond anything I know about which video module to
use.  Which module is a good generic one to use until I can get nvidia
sorted out??

My video module directory looks like:......

aty             cirrusfb.ko     kyro      riva       tridentfb.ko
vgastate.ko
cfbcopyarea.ko  console         matrox    sis        vesafb.ko
cfbfillrect.ko  cyber2000fb.ko  neofb.ko  sstfb.ko   vfb.ko
cfbimgblt.ko    hgafb.ko        pm2fb.ko  tdfxfb.ko  vga16fb.ko

--
Rupert Heesom <rupert@heesom.org.uk>