Re: problems with apt-get

Rupert Heesom <rupert@heesom.org.uk> writes:

> I'm new to Debian, trying to install a kernel image for amd64-k8-smp.
>
> I'm having problems when I try to do an "apt-get install
> kernel-image-2.6.8-11-amd64-k8-smp".
>
> I've had a look at the /etc/apt/sources.list file, and added a few
> sources but with no luck.
>
> My sources file looks like:
> #deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main
> #deb ftp://amd64.debian.net/debian-amd64 testing main
> #deb-src ftp://amd64.debian.net/debian-amd64 testing main
> #deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-amd64/debian testing main contrib
> #deb http://bach.hpc2n.umu.se/debian-amd64/debian testing main contrib
> #deb http://bytekeeper.as28747.net/debian-amd64/debian testing main
> contrib
> #deb ftp://mirror.switch.ch testing main contrib
> deb http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian-amd64/debian sarge main contrib
>
> One note: I thought I installed "sid", but the 3 top lines were the
> original lines in this file, and said "sarge" or "testing" (as they
> still do), so I guess I've installed sarge?

By default debian-installer will install sarge. You only get the
sarge/sid question in expert mode or when lowering the debconf
priority prior to choosing a mirror. That is the same for both the
sarge and sid CDs.

The difference between sarge and sid CDs is the contents of the CD
itself. Sarge only contains udebs and debs from sarge while sid only
contains them from sid. So with the sid image you end up with a sid
base system but configured for sarge in the future by default.

> The output of my apt-get install is:
> W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

Read and you might be enlightened. :)

MfG
        Goswin