Re: rsync mirrors?

"Pedro Sanchez" <psanchez@nortel.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I want to maintain a local debian-amd64 mirror in our lab, ideally by
> rsync-ing some mirror in North America. Are there any I can use?

>From the master list I see only 2 US mirrors and only one with rsync;

debian.csail.mit.edu     ftp/http/rsync
mirror.espri.arizona.edu ftp/http

> It'd be good if http://amd64.debian.net/README.mirrors.html had pointers
> to available rsync servers.
>
> Also, I'm behind a corporate firewall which will prevent me from setting
> up a push mirror (no way to contact my servers from outside). However,
> could I still do the set up for a push mirror and just run a daily cron
> job to get the updates?
>
> --
> Pedro

The difference between push and non push is that the push activates
the mirror script instead of cron. Everything else is the same. So no,
you can't setup for a push mirror as you can't get a push.

I suggest using debmirror (rsync, ftp or http) or reprepro (ftp or
http) to setup a local mirror. I also suggest using http. The
resulting mirror will be enough for every day use with apt but not (on
its own) for debian-cd creation as some extra files (tools, indices,
...) are skiped.

MfG
        Goswin