Re: OOo and CUPS on AMD64

On Tuesday 10 May 2005 12:40, Jerome Warnier wrote:
> Is OOo (32bits, of course) supposed to work with CUPS on Debian for
> AMD64?
> Someone asked me the question, but I don't know myself and cannot test
> it.
>
> It seems that printing from OOo does not work in Ubuntu for AMD64.
>
> Someone here already tested?
> --
> Jerome Warnier <jwarnier@beeznest.net>
> BeezNest

I think you would need to have a 32-bit cupsys-client running in the chroot
and a 64-bit cupsys server.  But all this mucking around with a 32-bit chroot
just sounds like teaching a cat to bark .....  the real solution would be a
64-bit version of OpenOffice.  According to the OO.org team, it's been done
already; but I can't find the necessary files for love nor money.

Has anyone had any luck getting the OpenOffice.org sources to compile cleanly
under 64-bit Debian?  I tried pulling the latest CVS, and had a partial
success after doing some hacking.  But unfortunately, I got sidetracked; and
now I can't get it to work at all .....

Just what tricks did they pull to make OpenOffice.org so flaky anyway?!  I
thought the whole idea of using C and C++ was that it shouldn't care if it's
running on a 32-bit processor, a 64-bit processor or a 4-bit processor .....

--
AJS
deb64 at earthshod dot co dot uk