Re: pinfo -- release critical bug for amd64

bob@proulx.com (Bob Proulx) writes:

> While walking through my list of things needed for amd64 I found that
> 'pinfo' still is not fixed.  The 'pinfo' package is not installable on
> amd64 at this time.
>
> Previous discussion of this problem is here:
>
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2005/01/msg00155.html
>
> It was determined at the time that there was a time skew bug that was
> causing the build failure.
>
>   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=290618
>
> At the time it seemed reasonable to wait for the maintainer to react
> to the bug and to upload a fixed version.  After 113 days that does
> not seem to be going to happen in time for sarge.
>
> But now that I am looking at the package in more detail I am not
> convinced that this problem is the same as the file skew problem.  The
> diff.gz does patch both the pinfo.info and pinfo.texi files.  A time
> skew could cause makeinfo (not declared as a dependency) to be called
> to update the file.  But if that happens the 'missing' program would
> be called wrapping it and preventing this call from failing the
> build.

I just did a testbuild and look what I found:

mrvn@frosties:~/pinfo/pinfo-0.6.8% grep makeinfo ../*build
checking for working makeinfo... found
  && makeinfo `echo pinfo.texi | sed 's,.*/,,'`

Same without makeinfo installed does use the missing script as far as
I can tell, BUT:

make[3]: Entering directory `/mnt/buildd/pinfo/pinfo-0.6.8/doc'
cd . \
  && /mnt/buildd/pinfo/pinfo-0.6.8/missing makeinfo `echo pinfo.texi | sed 's,.*/,,'`
WARNING: `makeinfo' is missing on your system.  You should only need it if
         you modified a `.texi' or `.texinfo' file, or any other file
         indirectly affecting the aspect of the manual.  The spurious
         call might also be the consequence of using a buggy `make' (AIX,
         DU, IRIX).  You might want to install the `Texinfo' package or
         the `GNU make' package.  Grab either from any GNU archive site.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/mnt/buildd/pinfo/pinfo-0.6.8/doc'

buildd@frosties:~/pinfo/pinfo-0.6.8$ ls -lh doc/pinfo.info
-rw-r--r--  1 buildd buildd    0 May  9 01:05 pinfo.info

While it does not fail it it builds wrong. You can easily reproduce
this by running "touch doc/pinfo.texi" before the build.

> I am now thinking that the problem was a disk space problem on the
> build machine when this was autobuilt for amd64.  I think the patched

No, timestamp still makes it break.

MfG
        Goswin