Re: Asus A8V Deluxe, Xfree display problems with BIOS 1011

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 02:45:02PM +0000, Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:
> Yes, you are right, but this upgrade is for the support for the new ad
> core (Venice). So this means we are stuck with the running processor.
> Or maybe there will be an other fix later ...

Try asking ATI.  Maybe if ATI asks asus someone will work something out
since without sources (which ati has) you can't tell what is going wrong
in the driver really.  I imagine it is some simple setting they got
wrong in the new bios.  Or perhaps you have to set a new option
different than the default in the new bios.

> Ubuntu use xorg instead of xfree, the driver is "ati" (BTW, "ati"
> doesnt work on my system both with 64 and 32 bit, I've to use "radeon").

Is there a radeon driver on ubuntu?  If so does it break too?

> What I did. But this is not a long term solution. And the politic of
> Asus is not acceptable. 1009 is not bug free. i.e. : try the auto
> overclocking mode.. Other problem : if I left agp fastwrite to enabled,
> I get a machine check.

Well it is certainly not a good move on their part.  Linux users might
stop recomending Asus, which I know a lot have been, since they have
generally been very well built and very well supported.

> The changelog for the ASUS BIOS doesnt represent the changes. Many
> other things have been changed : the way the DDR is managed, some
> options have beed added, other suppressed...

I agree the changelogs are pathetic for their bios upgrades.

> This is what I did and if you refer to my previous post they reply tehy
> have no UNIX/linux support.
>
> And I consider *this* is the worse in ths problem..

It would be a shame if one of the best motherboard vendors end up going
down because of that kind of attitude.

Does it affect the ati windows drivers I wonder... :)

Unfortunately it probably doesn't.