Re: amd64 porters IRC meeting: preparations for sarge

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 11:08:08PM +0200, Thomas Steffen wrote:
> Thank you very much for the results and the log. The future does
> indeed look promissing.
>
> But I do have a question about openoffice/chroot. As far as I could
> figure it out, the prepared solution was to install the openoffice
> package with a 32bit binary under /, and tell ld.so to use libraries
> from a 32bit chroot to resolve openoffice. At least that works nicely
> for me.
>
> But now I see hints to use dchroot. And while to me as a developer
> that seems fine, I think it is not a feasible solution for the "end
> user". The chroot environment has so many subtle difference compared
> to the normal environment, that it could be very confusing. At the end
> of the day, the installation should appear as one system, and not as a
> split personality :-)
>
> So is there any option planned to run openoffice (and other 32bit
> apps) directly? It might still be located in /emul/i386, but I would
> like to call it directly, without the dchroot wrapper. I think
> openoffice can be installed into any directory, so it should be
> possible.

Well there are plans for openoffice 2.x to be 64bit compatible so it cna
run natively instead.

I thought there were openoffice packages for 64bit that just required
some libs installed in the chroot/emul dir but would otherwise run as if
they were 64bit programs.