mozilla-firefox, kphone, and fvwm

Hi,

I've got an ASUS A8V-E running OK now, including VMware 5 and even
OpenGL acceleration (ATI's fglrx driver), both work out of the box on
kernel 2.6.10, but not on 2.6.11.x. I'd like to use Java and Flash in
Firefox, though, and that requires a 32-bit Firefox browser. I've got
a working 32-bit chroot, openoffice works, even MPlayer with all the
Win32 codecs, but Firefox doesn't. When I run Firefox, all seems to be
fine except that the browser window never pops up.

<excursion>
Now I realized that kphone (pure64) has a strange behaviour -- it
opens all popup windows (such as the one asking for a password) in the
virtual screen (fvwm's Pager) directly below the one in which I'm
working. This was quite surprising to me when I finally found out
where the popups had gone, and fvwm on 32-bit sid certainly doesn't do
such a thing.
</excursion>

So I tried to run Firefox without a window manager and it worked. I
haven't had the time to test any other environment, but is it possible
that fvwm somehow mangles the window and maps it outside the area
reachable with the Pager? That would explain why I can't use
Firefox/32-bit, and is quite likely given kphone's behaviour with
fvwm.

Any ideas?

  Andras