Re: amd64 into mainstream

On Monday 18 April 2005 4:54pm, Niklas Ögren wrote:
> > What do you mean by "core archives server"?  Isn't that what
> > (us.)debian.org is, and what I'm referring to?  Despite whatever the ping
> > times are with debian.org (when I was using i386 I was using a faster
> > mirror too), it doesn't have pauses in transfers like alioth has.  Alioth
> > appears overloaded, and moving pure64 over to the main debian.org, even
> > while still in an unofficial status, would help alioth.
>
> Why are you loading alioth then, when it's not working as expected for
> you? Personally I'm using its mirrors, like bach.hpc2n.umu.se without any
> problems...

AFAIK, alioth *is* the only "local mirror" for my region (US).  There's
nothing else close to me.

> > So is it finally time for "The Mother of All Forks"?  :)  Brother Server
> > Debian, meet sister Desktop Debian, your biological twin, she's not as
> > strong as you are, but she's a hell of a lot prettier.  :)
> >
> > (Note the use of fork above is merely for humor, in reality a split of
> > Debian would more resemble a "corporate reorganisation" than a "fork".
> > There would I believe be very little, if any, forking of computer code at
> > all.)
>
> (Yes, I read all the way down here.. :)

Thank you!  :)  I realize I do have this problem where I occasionally start
rambling.,..  :)

> I totally agree with you. If we want to keep debian as the good
> alternative, a split may be necessary. In the process more developers
> needs to be attracted to debian to make it happen, and make it good! I'm
> sure it's possible, if things happen more quickly when there still is
> something to save!

Right, what people have to realize is this kind of split isn't really a "fork"
or "civil war" or a bad thing, it would just be two very similar
organizations (nearly twins actually) working together where possible, which
would be most of the time, and going in different directions where absolutely
necessary, just like how Debian and Ubuntu are working together now.