problems with most recent evolution-2.2

Evolution seems to be working again, at least it can read mail. However,
I'm getting some strange interactions with gnome. The second time (note,
not the first time!) I try to create or respond to a message, evolution
dies with:

(evolution:875): Bonobo-WARNING **: Activation exception 'Failed to
activate 'OAFIID:GNOME_Spell_Control:0.3''

I don't have gnome-spell installed, as it messes up the keyboard
shortcuts - it overrides the ^A from my emacs setting to be "select
all", similar for ^E, etc.

If I install gnome-spell, evolution no longer crashes, but there go my
keyboard shortcuts.

Anyone know of a solution?

                      cheers....        Charles.