Re: Vmware

My experience wasn't quite so smooth - posted here in case it can save
someone a little time.  I started with
VMware-workstation-5.0.0-13124.tar.gz.  The VMWare install didn't encounter
any difficulties other than the warning about the correct version of
libraries and the ldd output.

However, starting vmware produced:

/usr/local/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: error while loading shared libraries:
libz.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I hand-lib'ed a copy of libz into my /emul/ia32-linux/ directories:

$ cd /emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/
$ sudo cp -p /var/chroot/sid-ia32/usr/lib/libz.so.1.2.2 .
$ sudo ln -s libz.so.1.2.2 libz.so.1
$ sudo ldconfig

At this point, VMWare would start, but would produce the error "Unable to
connect to peer process" when powering on a guest.

The ldd -v output for the vmware binary was pretty scary at this point, so I
decided to update /etc/ld.so.conf to reference the libraries in my ia32 chroot.

$ cat /etc/ld.so.conf
/usr/X11R6/lib
# chroot libs
/var/chroot/sid-ia32/lib
/var/chroot/sid-ia32/usr/lib
/var/chroot/sid-ia32/usr/X11R6/lib
/var/chroot/sid-ia32/usr/local/lib
$ sudo ldconfig

After this, I am able to run vmware from my 64-bit shell (i.e., not inside a
chroot), and start my guest machines.  So far now problems, but I just now
got it going.

Since VMWare seems to be a FAQ, and because it doesn't appear as simple as a
base pure64 install (after all, vmware is still a 32-bit binary), maybe we
could setup a wiki specifically for VMWare.  If not on alioth, then maybe
here:  http://wiki.debian.net/?DebianAMD64Faq

Cheers,
tony