Re: truncated dmesg

Hi Lennart,

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 06:31:38PM -0700, David Liontooth wrote:
On a board with two sata raid cards, I get a truncated dmesg.
I believe this is due to the size of msgbuf -- how is this set?

Does CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT have anything to do with it?  It seems the
larger and more complex the system is, the higher that value is by
default.  Whatever it is, it appears to defaults to 16KB on a single
cpu, and 32KB on an SMP system, and even bigger on s390 and numa
systems.  It may be unrelated.  dmesg says the default buffer is 16KB on
current kernels (although that matches the single cpu case for the
above).

It may be something you have to go edit the kernel source to change.

Len Sorensen
Thanks -- the size of dmesg is set by CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT
as you and Lionel point out. Not sure where my low setting came from,
but upping it solved the problem.

Dave